The New ACT Writing Sample Prompt
The New Official ACT Writing Sample Prompt
Many of the goods and services we depend on daily are now supplied by intelligent, automated machines rather than human beings. Robots build cars and other goods on assembly lines, where once there were human workers. Many of our phone conversations are now conducted not with people butwith sophisticated technologies. We can now buy goods at a variety of stores without the help of a human cashier. Automation is generally seen as a sign of progress, but what is lost when we replace humans with machines? Given the accelerating variety and prevalence of intelligent machines, it is worth examining the implications and meaning of their presence in our lives.
Read and carefully consider these perspectives. Each suggests a particular way of thinking about the increasing presence of intelligent machines.
What we lose with the replacement of people by machines is some part of our own humanity. Even our mundane daily encounters no longer require from us basic courtesy, respect, and tolerance for other people.
Machines are good at low-skill, repetitive jobs, and at high-speed, extremely precise jobs. In both cases they work better than humans. This efficiency leads to a more prosperous and progressive world for everyone.
Intelligent machines challenge our long-standing ideas about what humans are or can be. This is good humans and machines toward new, unimagined possibilities.
Write a unified, coherent essay in which you evaluate multiple perspectives on the increasing presence of intelligent machines. In your essay, be sure to:
* analyze and evaluate the perspectives given
* state and develop your own perspective on the issue
* explain the relationship between your perspective and those given
Your perspective may be in full agreement with any of the others, in partial agreement, or wholly different. Whatever the case, support your ideas with logical reasoning and detailed, persuasive examples.
Planning Your Essay
Your work on these prewriting pages will not be scored.
Use the space below and on the back cover to generate ideas and plan your essay. You may wish to consider the following as you think critically about the task:
Strengths and weaknesses of the three given perspectives
* What insights do they offer, and what do they fail to consider?
* Why might they be persuasive to others, or why might they fail to persuade?
Your own knowledge, experience, and values
* What is your perspective on this issue, and what are its strengths and weaknesses?
* How will you support your perspective in your essay?
- New ACT writing essay prompt from December 2015 ACT Asia
- New ACT writing essay prompt from October 2015 ACT Asia
- New ACT writing essay prompt from September 2015 ACT North America
- New ACT writing essay prompt from September 2015 ACT Asia
- The New ACT Writing Essay Prompt
- The New ACT Writing Sample Prompt
- ACT Essay Practice Prompt 8
- ACT Essay Practice Prompt 7
- ACT Essay Practice Prompt 6
- ACT Essay Practice Prompt 5