New ACT writing essay prompt: Free Music
Free music is now available through many legal sources, from streaming services to online radio stations, making it largely unnecessary to purchase an album or even a single song. As sales figures continue to drop, some musicians, both high-profile and relatively unknown, have even quit trying to sell their music altogether, choosing instead to release new material for free online. Perhaps this trend is a matter of simple economics: cheap is good, but free is better. But it is worth considering whether our apparent unwillingness to spend money on music is an indication that its value in our lives is changing.
Read and carefully consider these perspectives. Each suggests a particular way of thinking about the changing value of music in our lives.
Digital technologies and the Internet have changed our relationship with music. It is so plentiful and readily available now that all value has been diluted.
Music competes for our attention with many other kinds of inexpensive entertainment these days. We still value it, but we also have a lot of other ways to spend our money.
With so many free sources, people are listening to more music and discovering more new musicians than ever before. Wide availability has only increased our appreciation of music.
- April 2018 Form 31E ACT Writing Test Prompt
- New ACT writing essay prompt: Declining Event Attendance
- New ACT writing essay prompt: Vocational Education
- September 2016 ACT writing essay prompt
- September 2016 ACT Asia writing essay prompt
- June 2016 ACT writing essay prompt
- April 2016 Form 73E ACT writing essay prompt
- April 2016 Form 73E ACT writing essay prompt Asia
- December 2017 Form 30P ACT Writing Test Prompt
- September 2017 ACT writing essay prompt